Wednesday, August 31, 2016

What would you do to help another?

There are millions of ways people help. People donate time and money. People protest, speak to legislators, advocate, teach, learn, work, grow and reflect.

One of my 50 things is to really consider what would I be willing to do for another. Donate stem cells? A kidney? Foster children?

When discussing this with a friend, the friend said, "Well, don't you do that for a living?" Which is true. I do advocate for others. I volunteer, teach, learn and grow daily. But those things are normal. Those things are part of who I am. Those things are not on my list. My list is personal. During this decade I want to seriously consider what, if anything, I would be do for another human being that I was not necessarily 100% comfortable with, but would benefit someone else...something the other needed.

I told myself, when making the list, that I wanted to consider what I would be willing to do to help another. I don't have to do it. If the answer to myself is "no, I'm really not willing to do that," or "no, I really don't want to do that," I would be fine, as long as I really considered it.

I've thought of various scenarios. So far, the answer has been "no." Today, I am giving myself 4 weeks to consider a new one.

No comments:

Post a Comment